pickenssentinel.com

Updated: Walmart evacuated for fire

Asia Ashley Staff Writer

September 11, 2013

A small fire was reported at Walmart at 9:11 a.m. today.


Customers and employees began evacuating shortly after 9:20 a.m. as the LaGrange Fire Department tended to the fire at the market entrance roof of the store.


Customers and employees stayed in the parking lot until about 9:55 p.m. when managers notified that it was safe to return inside the store.


Fans were set up at the entrance to filter out the remaining fumes; The Market entrance of the store remained blocked of as of 10:30 a.m. and will likely remain closed until fumes have completely cleared.


A Troup County 911 supervisor said that the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical problem, but Walmart management would not comment on the incident.