March 5, 2014
• Comical songwriter-humorist Carla Ulbrich, known as The Singing Patient, presents the William H. Hunter Endowed Lecture at 7 p.m. in the Self Auditorium in the Strom Thurmond Institute. Admission is free. Ulbrich is a graduate of Daniel High School and was born and raised in Clemson.
• Hospice of the Upstate holds a free class about Advance Directives from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. At Hampton Memorial Library, 304 Biltmore Road in Easley. Participants will receive copies of the two forms of Advanced Directives that are valid in South Carolina, Living Will and healthcare power of attorney. Call 864-328-1966 for more information or to register.
• The Spanish dance ensemble Flamenco Vivo performs at 8 p.m. in Clemson University’s Brooks Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for students. Visit www.clemson.edu/Brooks or call 864-656-7787 for tickets or information.
• The Pickens County First Steps Partnership board of director meets at 4 p.m. at Hampton Memorial Library in Easley. Call 864-654-3000 for more information.
• Driving Miss Daisy is staged at 8 p.m. at Clemson University’s Brooks Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for students. Visit www.clemson.edu/Brooks or call 864-656-7787 for tickets or information.
• The Brooks Center hosts a performance of LEO at 7 p.m. as part of the Family Series. LEO is a one-man, one of a kind physical theater piece that challenges the sense of gravity and reality through acrobatics and high-tech video projection. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. Families are encouraged to arrive at 6 p.m. to take part in Imagination Station. Visit www.clemson.edu/Brooks or call 864-656-7787 for tickets or information.
• The Easley Rotary Club meets from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. each Tuesday at West End Hall in the Carr Center, 201 S. 5th St. in Easley.
• Easley Newcomers & Friends meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Capt. Kimberly Hampton Public Library, 304 Biltmore Road in Easley. The social is at 10 a.m. and the meeting is at 10:30 a.m. Guests are welcome. Call Gloria Kouvolo at 864-843-1403 for more information.
• The Confection Connection of the Upstate meets at 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 1200 Powdersville Road in Easley. Call 864-859-4252 or send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Outside Pickens County
Walking tours through historic Downtown Pendleton are held March 7 and March 8 beginning at 2 p.m. The tour is 1.6 miles and will take just over two hours. Admission is $5. Reservations are recommended as space is limited. Call 864-646-3782 for more information or to register.
The Anderson County Democratic Party holds its biannual Precinct Reorganization meeting at 10 a.m. March 8 at the Westside Community Center, 1100 West Franklin St. in Anderson. Following the meeting, the county party will holds its county convention. Delegates to the state convention will be elected.
A free international car cruise is held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 11 in celebration of the Upstate’s booming international automotive market and to coincide with the month-long Upstate International festival. Cars from around the world will cruise Millennium Boulevard on the CU-ICAR campus between Research Drive and Sulphur Springs Road and back. Visit www.cuicar.com/millenniumdrive for more information.
Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas perform at Charter Amphitheatre on May 9. The Devil Makes Three will also appear. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. March 7.
The Oconee County Sheriff’s Office holds the inaugural meeting of the Oconee County chapter of Wives on Duty Ministries at 7 p.m. March 18 at Walhalla Wesleyan Church, 3210 Blue Ridge Boulevard in West Union. Gary Carr, chaplain of the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office, and Lisa Taylor, the wife of a S.C. Highway Patrol trooper, will present the program. Call Taylor at 864-784-4982 or Leigh Meadows at 864-710-9342 for more information. Wives of current and retired law enforcement officers are encouraged to attend.
Community Calendar items can be submitted in writing to P.O. Box 709, Easley, S.C. 29641; in person at 205 Russell St.; via fax to 864-855-6825; or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call 864-855-0355 for more information. Items run on a space-available basis.