By D. C. Moody email@example.com
April 8, 2014
PICKENS — The School District of Pickens County is in the midst of beginning budget discussions and completing reaccreditation and now has another important item on their agenda for the near future: finding a new district superintendent.
Dr. Kelly Pew announced April 4 she would be leaving Pickens County to accept the superintendent’s position with the Rock Hill School District. All district employees had been made aware of Pew’s decision by Friday afternoon.
Pew released a statement through the district office announcing her plans and addressing Pickens County.
“I’m honored to have the opportunity to become a part of the Rock Hill public school system, and I look forward to working with the students, faculty, parents and community members there to continue Rock Hill’s excellent reputation,” Pew said. “I’ll miss the wonderful people who live and work in Pickens County.”
As for Pew’s contract with the district, according to John Eby, the district’s Public Information Specialist, the decision will be up to the school board.
“Dr. Pew’s contract for this year runs through June 31 with Pickens County,” he said. “My understanding is she would begin July 1 with Rock Hill unless the school board decides to go a different direction, but as of right now, that’s where it stands.”
The board could elect to not allow Pew out of her contract with Pickens County which seems unlikely based on comments by school board chairman Alex Saitta.
“Dr. Pew came to our district from Oconee in 2008, hired as the personnel director. She impressed everyone. The board and Superintendent Henry Hunt quickly saw her talent and we promoted her to curriculum director and then the board named her superintendent. She made quite an impact in the six years she was here. I wish her the best in Rock Hill,” Saitta said.
As for how the board will move forward, that process has yet to be determined.
“We (Pickens County School Board) are scheduled to meet Tuesday to discuss the process we’ll use to find a replacement,” Saitta said. “We have a few options we will be considering, and will make a decision in due course.”