LIBERTY—A Liberty High student has been hospitalized with an apparent diagnosis of meningitis, and school officials say proper precautions are being taken.
“On Friday, the district was notified by the parent,” the district said in a release. “Immediately, the coordinator of nursing and the principal began to work with DHEC (Department of Health and Environmental Control) to make sure the school district took necessary precautions. At this time, the case is suspected to be bacterial meningitis. However, the district has not reviewed confirmation from DHEC.”
The district said the Liberty High custodial staff thoroughly cleaned the surfaces and areas that the student may have come in contact with while at school Friday morning.
“There is no recommendation that any persons who have been in contact with this student at school receive any treatment,” the release said.
While there is no reason to believe Liberty High is contaminated, the district warned against the spread of the disease.
“The germs that cause bacterial meningitis can be contagious. They can be spread through respiratory and oral secretions,” the district said. “According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control), most of the bacteria that cause meningitis are not as contagious as diseases like the common cold or the flu. The bacteria are spread through close or direct contact (such as kissing) with the infected person.”
The symptoms of meningitis infection may be sudden onset of fever, headache, and stiff neck.
Many times there may also be nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and confusion. If you or anyone in your household exhibits these symptoms, seek care from a doctor.
“We will continue to monitor all students at Liberty High, watch for any other patterns of symptoms or illness and remain in contact with DHEC,” the release said.
Parents and guardians should contact a doctor if they have any concerns regarding meningitis.